Estimates vary but it’s possible now that more Britons don’t believe in a God than those who do.
Six Characters not in Search of The Author
However, amongst our current Government, a significant number of key influencers openly label themselves Christian. It’s surprisingly difficult to find an overall estimate of religious belief amongst MPs (let me know in the Comments below, if you find some) but certainly the following claim to be Christians – Steve Baker, Nadine Dorries, Iain Duncan Smith, Andrea Leadsom, Jacob Rees-Mogg and John Whittingdale.
They’re all sure to know the Bible but maybe lots of the rest of us don’t.
Why not try our special Know your Bible quiz and see whether you shape up morally?
Here’s a list of quotes below – some are from the Bible and some have been constructed by members of the Permissive Team. Can you distinguish them?
Questions (Answers follow after)
1. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.
2. I say to you, the rich are worthy of their wealth, gained by their honest labour and the sweat of their brows. Those who seek to remove this from them are an abomination unto me.
3. You shall have the same rule for the sojourner and for the native, for I am the LORD your God.”
4. He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the sojourner, giving him food and clothing
5. For there are two worlds – the world of God and the world of Mammon. In the world of God, one must do justly and tell the truth and love mercy. But in the world of Mammon, it is not forbidden to disobey these laws and this will not be reckoned against you come the final judgment.
6. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
7. Behold, the foreigner and sojourner is a crafty fox who has lied his way across lands and oceans to prey on your charity. He should not be trusted and should be cast out even unto the ends of the earth.
8. The poor and the needy will always be so because of their own sin and idleness. To help feed and clothe them will only spur them further in their indigence.
9. Then the King will say to those at his right hand, “Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me. The righteous will answer him, “Lord when did we see you hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?” And the King will answer them, “Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.
10. As if led by the hand of God, the rich, in spite of their own selfishness and greed divide with the poor the produce of all their improvements.
Warning: Answers About To Appear
The following are all from the Bible:
1. James, 1:27
3. Leviticus, 24:22
4. Deuteronomy, 10:18
6. 1 Timothy, 6:6-10
9. Matthew, 25:34-40
The others are not. Number 10 is (almost) a direct quotation from Adam Smith.
Hope you enjoyed. Don’t forget to comment below or share via the sparkling array of social media buttons (also below).